All large Peer to Peer Fundraising events depend on a corps of dedicated and accountable volunteers. Volunteer management is difficult but vital to growing a peer to peer fundraising campaign. Fundraising volunteers generally fall into one of three categories.
- Staff support
- General support
The first two groups will have the most impact on growing your fundraising. They can take tasks off of your staff’s to do list, provide new energy, and find new donors. These volunteers are the difference between 10-30% versus 30-50% growth because:
- They have a deeper level of commitment to your cause
- They bring new networks of supporters to your organization
- Their loyalty results in retention
Ask, Listen and Celebrate To Maximize Fundraising Growth
The best fundraising volunteers dedicate their time and talents to ensure you achieve your campaign goals. You can ask more of them and they will deliver. Know where you need help. Ask for help with—recruitment, fundraising, sponsorship connections, etc.
Listen to their needs. Monitor their successes and challenges during the campaign. They will be the ones that show you what is going well or needs tweaking with your broader group of super enthusiasts and general supporters.
Consider these suggestions below to maximize the role of your super volunteers in your fundraising plans. Create a plan to implement these suggestions before, during and after a campaign.
- Thank them and thank them again. Show gratitude before during and after the campaign. Acknowledgement is powerful.
- Explain your current campaign goals and timelines.
- Ask them for help getting the word out & provide a suggested plan.
- Celebrate their efforts with them and others.
- Give them some control over communications to their network.
- Showcase them in e-mails and social media.
- Provide them with extra guidance and resources.
- Hold volunteers accountable.
Make your Fundraising Volunteers More Successful
In many ways, the success of your best volunteers will be linked to the tools they can access in the peer to peer fundraising software platform that they use. Your software needs to especially complement and support them to achieve your growth goals. At the very least, your fundraising platform should allow you to:
- Communicate with your volunteers
- Help them to fundraise without roadblocks
- Provide referrals
- Hold them accountable for their responsibilities.
Take the step to review whether the feature set your peer-to-peer fundraising software provides best supports them.
At Blue Sky Collaborative our goal is to help you maximize the benefits of online peer-to-peer fundraising to achieve your mission. To learn more about how we can help, visit our website www.blueskycollaborative.com or call us at (p) 800-330-4109 ext. 803.